Monday, March 18, 2013

Love is a Four Letter Word....and a Verb

I’m shamefullly behind on listening to both JM’s newest albums, both released at some point in 2012. I can also shamefully report that after listening to John’s “Born and Raised” I lost the cd, so I’ve only played it legally once. And to my big shame, I thought I bought Jason’s “Love is a Four Letter Word”, but I sure as hell can’t find the damn cd. Now I’m not so sure anymore I actually bought it.

So in both cases, I’ve been shamefully listening to their new music through YouTube.

From what I’ve heard so far, it sounds like both are refinding their roots while developing on. By listening to their new stuff, I’ve been feeling really proud and happy. I think they’re both doing fantastically now. They both grew musically, but also personally which is reflected in their lyrics. They’re still them, very different and easy to tell apart and yet similar. It still amuses me how their careers seem to surf on the same waves. Good for them.

Finally, I think I’ve heard enough from both to make a proper comparison again, though I already know what the end result will be.

The categories
1. Talent: In which I’ll judge their playing & singing. Two points can be won;
2. Songs: In which I’ll judge their songs, musically and lyrically. Two points to win;
3. Personality & Publicity: How are they and how do they deal with the press? Two points;

Buy "Born and Raised"
the Comparison

Talent
John had granulomas in his throat. He had surgery to remove them and then vocal rest for the greater part of 2011. He only just started singing again. He sounds good to me. Still not the best vocalist, but steady, even after surgery.

In the meantime Jason has been developing his guitar playing. In the live version of “93 Million Miles” he plays a nice guitar solo for which I can give nothing but kudos. Still, I don’t think he can beat John in a guitar playing contest.

I’m going to give both one point; they both deserve it.

Jason 1 <> John 1.


Songs
Musically I’m still most attracted to Jason’s stuff. Also his lyrics can be amazing, or a bit too hippy. That’s why it’s still John’s lyrics that grab me most and his melodies are still very pleasing to my ears, but not as much as Jason’s. They’re two different beasts doing their own thing. There is a reason why I love both.
Buy "Love is a Four Letter Word"

John gets one point for his lyrics and Jason one for his music.

John 2 <> Jason 2.

Personality & Publicity
They both been idiots in the past. John said some really nasty things about some of his exes in an interview and Jason got engaged and broke up within the timespan of a few months claiming he didn’t “feel man enough” in the relationship. In both cases I could do nothing but think: “Idiot!!!” What’s the matter with you!?!?!?” Around that time I fell off the bandwagon.

Jason has now retreated into blissful press silence about his relationships, which I think he still does sublimely. John came back last year after a long (forced) silence and obviously reflected on the crap he had left and admitted he “was a jerk”.
So that’s that then. No points, because they’ve been misbehaving.

Really, John lost a point, but I’m not going to take it from him. See it as some sort of encouragement to keep up his current good behaviour.)

Who wins?
Still no-one. I still like them equally and I still wish them all the luck and happiness in the world. And remember, “Love” is a four letter word and a verb. They got that right. I think I'll try and design a tattoo for that.

No comments: