Monday, August 12, 2013

That Just Not Do

He’s not my type at all. He’s a bit like Jake; charming, funny (funnier than Jake), lively and also a bit annoying. Yet, I’ve gone out of my way to see and read interviews with him. I have an idea of who he is, or at least the way he generally presents himself.


Irritation #1: Brent claims he couldn’t argue against Gene Roddenberry concerning Data’s colour. This is what he usually answers when asked:

Brent: “Don’t you think that by this time in history, they would’ve figured out how to make skin look like skin?” And he said, “What makes you think that what you have isn’t better than skin?” And I went, “Um, okay.” [Laughs.] Can’t argue with Gene Roddenberry.”

Sure you can argue with him. Or at least when he gives that answer. If you’re in the proces of making an android as human-like as possible, even go out of your way to create a effin’ emotion chip, why not make the skin more like actual skin?

[no picture: you know by now what Data looks like. He's got yellow/goldish skin and yellow eyes.]

Had Roddenberry answered: “Gold/Yellow is funnier,” I would have accepted that. However, he didn’t, and that makes me a little unhappy, because his answer doesn’t make enough sense.

There are other things that annoy me about him. I should not complain. Don’t know the man. Never even met him. Fact remains; he’s not Data.

Right now I'm listening an audio interview and I swear, Brent dished out this story again!!!

Irritation #2: Levar Burton telling about how in the audition, blablabla, Geordie and Data were the only ones seeing the uninverse at it is. They wanted to form a team called the Perceivers. Quite glad that didn't happen. It sounds awefully tacky.

And I swear, in the same audio interview I'm still listening, Burton dished that one out again!!!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!

No comments: